Job title: (Re-Advertisement) Adolescent Development Officer, NO-A, Temporary Appointment (364 days) Thailand CO, Bangkok, (Thai Nationals only)
– Opens for Thai Nationals Only
Vacancy No. EAPRO/TCO-VA-2020/041-1
Job Level: NO-A
Position No: 113732
Contract Type: Staff contract – initially 364 days with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Thailand Country Office, Bangkok
Application Close: 15 July 2020
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, how can you make a difference?
The Adolescent Development Officer reports to Adolescent Development Specialist for close guidance and supervision.
The incumbent is expected to provide professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process through the application of theoretical and technical skills in researching, collecting, analyzing and presenting technical programme information and learning organizational rules, regulations and procedures, to support the development and formulation of the adolescent development and participation programmes/projects within the Country Programme.
1. Support to programme development and planning
- Research and analyze regional and national political, health, social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify and synthesize information to facilitate programme development, design and preparation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevancy of information especially in relation to health.
- Support the development/establishment of relevant components of the adolescent development and participation programme goals, objectives, strategies and results-based planning through research, collection, analysis and reporting of related information for development planning and priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions and preparing materials/documentations in accordance with organizational rules, processes and systems for programme planning, results-based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluations.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the programme review and approval process.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners for health especially sexual and reproductive health program to collect/analyze/share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine programme implementation and submit report to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual programme reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on the use of adolescent development and participation programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare inputs for programme/donor reporting.
3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys and share information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF and adolescent development and participation policies, strategies, processes and best practices to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results specially in the domain of health.
4. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on adolescent development and participation programmes/projects.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances and support resource mobilization to ensure the adolescent development and participation programmes/projects are adequately resourced and supported.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of adolescent development and participation programmes/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF’s position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
6. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting-edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advance university degree in one of the following fields is required: anthropology, psychology, sociology, education, health or another relevant technical field.
(Bachelor’s degree plus two years of experience in the field could be accepted in lieu of advance university degree)
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in health or social development planning and management in adolescent development related areas is required.
- Experience working on sexual and reproductive health is strongly needed.
- Proven work experience related to the development of results framework, results tracking, budget monitoring and donor report is required.
- Experience working with the government counterparts in the country is considered as an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in an international multicultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Good analytical, organizational, communication skills.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas.
- Good negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Tact, discretion, self-starter and good judgment.
- Thai Nationality.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Meet and aligned with UNICEF core values and competencies.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in 1) Builds and maintains partnerships, 2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness, 3) Drive to achieve results for impact, 4) Innovates and embraces change, 5) Manages ambiguity and complexity, 6) Thinks and acts strategically, 7) Works collaboratively with others, and 8) Nurtures, leads and manages people (applicable for supervisor and manager’s role).
The functional competencies required for this post are…
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
View our competency framework at
Successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration package under the UN system.
Only shortlisted candidates with pre-screening according to child safeguarding will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Please send application no later than 15 July 2020.
All UN including UNICEF candidates need to send an application letter together with Personal History (P-11) and Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs) of the last two years.
** Re-advertisement: previous candidates do not need to re-apply **
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
For gender balance in the workforce, Thai National male qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Advertised: 02 Jul 2020 SE Asia Standard Time
Applications close: 15 Jul 2020 11:55 PM SE Asia Standard Time
Job date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 04:56:47 GMT
Apply for the job now!