Your company's social media activities are like an open book. As such, what you say may be used against you the next time you try to borrow money.Two puzzling and challenging aspects of business--funding and social media--are about to come together to become even more vexing than either taken separately. Lenders have begun to look at social media to vet borrowers, according to the Wall Street Journal. Although this new trend seems largely focused on consumers, businesses too, particularly smaller ones, could face loan rejections because of their social media activity.How It WorksHow could what you do on a social network influence a lender's decision
Companies based in the San Francisco Bay Area are constantly the news — and chances are that when you watch or read stories about these firms, you’ll hear words like “tech,” “startup” and “unicorn” recurring frequently.
Since the Bay Area is home to Silicon Valley and many of the world’s leading high-tech corporations, this emphasis is easy to understand. Dig a little deeper, however, and you’ll find that the reality is more complex. According to the Bay Area Council Economic Institute, technology and professional services (the region’s distinguishing industries) have driven almost 40% of the region’s growth, but the remaining 60% is due to other high-performing sectors.
So while tech is a huge part of the economy and demand for talent is sky-high, there are also lots of opportunities for people with other skills. So what does Indeed’s 15 million-strong reviews database tell us about which companies are the best places to work for Bay Area dwellers?
Our data science team crunched the numbers — here are the answers.
Salesforce tops the list for best places to work in the Bay Area
In fact, although tech firms perform very well in our list — occupying five of the slots in the top ten — they are balanced by companies from a wide variety of other industries, including healthcare, petrochemicals and even a candy company.
That said, even the tech firms demonstrate the diversity of what it means to be in today’s top ten.
At the top we have Software-as-a-Service giant Salesforce, followed by second place Apple. Apple is most famous for its smartphones and MacBooks, of course, but they also operate retail stores, a music streaming service and are currently investing in self-driving cars.
In fifth place comes Google: Everybody knows the search engine, but parent company Alphabet is also in the entertainment, health research and self-driving car business. Eighth place Intuit makes popular tax preparation solutions such as Mint, TurboTax and Quickbooks while creative software powerhouse Adobe places tenth.
Thus we see how diverse “tech” really can be — and of course, these firms also employ marketers, researchers, recruiters, designers and people in a multitude of other roles. But that’s not all: Our top ten also includes two healthcare companies, Kaiser Permanente (#3) and Stanford Health Care (#9) while Warren Buffett-owned candy manufacturer See’s Candies places fourth and petrochemical giant Chevron lands in sixth place. Outside the top ten we see even more diversity: Electronic Arts, a Redwood City-based video game company, clothes retailer Banana Republic (#21) and cleaning product firm Clorox (#23).
The truth is, today the line between tech and non-tech is less clear. Just as Google moves into health technology, so healthcare organizations such as Kaiser Permanente or Stanford Health Care are hiring data scientists — while research firm Genentech blurs the line even further. This synergy is not restricted to tech and healthcare. Today, every company is a tech company.
What are the best companies doing right?
Share this !